Executive Director of Weekday Children's Programs:
ABOUT OUR PROGRAMS...
As a mission of Annandale United Methodist Church, the Weekday Children's Programs purpose is to provide an enriching educational environment for young children and their families, one that fosters a love of learning, awareness of self and others, and a sense of accomplishment built on a child's natural curiosity.
We are committed to creating communities for children, families, and staff that:
- Are safe and nurturing
- Enhance positive growth, development, and self-esteem
- Provide developmentally appropriate, stimulating, and
- Respect and accept people of all cultures, religions, abilities, genders, ages, family structures, and sexual orientation
- *Our ultimate goal is to assist children in developing into happy, healthy, self-confident individuals.
As a mission of Annandale United Methodist Church, the Weekday Children's Programs believe that early childhood programs involve a community of learners dedicated to providing the best possible environment for the education and development of young children. The guiding principles that underscore our commitment to all young children are:
- Young children learn and construct knowledge as a result of meaningful and purposeful experiences.
- Young children reach different levels of learning and development at different times.
- Learning in the early childhood years develops on a continuum.
- Learning is both individual and social and takes place within a social/cultural context.
- Play is an integral part of quality programs serving young children.
- Skills and concepts are developed and enhanced through child-initiated and teacher-initiated activities.
- Programs for young children must provide opportunities for individual activities and flexible groupings.
- There must be exposure to a print-rich environment, which facilitates literacy development
- The dignity of young children and their personal circumstances and diversity must be respected and affirmed.
- Families of young children are essential partners in the educational process.
- Children are best served in a safe, nurturing, and inclusive environment
- Developmentally appropriate assessment of young children's learning is essential for planning and implementing appropriate curriculum and celebrating children's learning.
- Program practices for young children must reflect sound research and findings about young children and learning.
- The early childhood years are very special because children make such great developmental strides and become increasingly independent. Improvements are continually evident in emotional growth, social skills, verbal communication, intellectual awareness and physical capabilities. In recognition of the crucial importance of these early years, we strive to create a program that is tailored to meet the needs of the whole child. The lesson plans developed by each teacher cover all areas of importance to the children's growth. The program is designed to provide children with ample opportunity to learn about, enjoy, and become comfortable in their expanding world.
Click here for information on The Weekday Preschool.
Click here for information on The Early Learning Program.
Click here for information on The Child Development Center.